Brussels, car free Sunday

It is almost the third Sunday of September and Brussels will be once again the largest car free zone in Europe for one day.  Before retrieving to bed I let my dog out for a last pipi in the bamboos. On the parking lot of the building where I live only half of the cars are present. This leaves me with the impression a lot of 'Brusseleirs' have already fled the city afraid they can not live one day without their car.  

                           
It makes me wonder. Does this car free initiative make sense? Nerjis and I were on a bike today, each on a Brompton, what else ! Earlier in one of my blogs I have called it 'the Porsche of all bikes' and I stick to that statement. But noone respects the traffic rules which makes it difficult to slalom between bike path and road. It was hot today, hotter than on an average day of the past Summer.

Sunday 8:30 h in the morning. windy weather and pooring rain. Oh, is this going to be the wettest car free Sunday ever? I take the car to head for the bed and breakfast afraid I would make a silly impression dragging a vacuum cleaner, a dog and my daughter with me on the tram.


9:00 h the clouds are gone, but not for long. Nerjis and I are debating. Going to the movies and watch ' the Hundred-Foot Journey' or wait and see. While getting ready to take the metro the sun re-appears. We change our mind and opt for a day on the bike in Brussels.

What a mess out there on the streets. Do we wait for the traffic light to turn green or can we cross anyway? Pedestrians competing with bikes and foreign licence plates allowed to drive against all logics? This is once again Brussels. There are rules but noone knows them. And this could be such an enjoyful place especially on this day.

Nerjis and I together spotted eighty Brompton bikes, a few more are lost in discussion.

We had an awful late lunch or early dinner in a place called ' Sustainable Fish & Chips'. Brussels is culinary on the move, but not for the better.


Oversized portions to tell the truth, but I miss the leaves of salad. Pricy if you consider the service, ingredients and location. But then again, I am getting old and becoming old fashioned.

Great initiative, to be repeated ! But please policy makers, mind our security and get things clear.