Brussels for Free ( part 1 )

Now that I finally have time to explore Brussels, - having left behind the bed and breakfast business in favor of long term rental, - I have promised myself I will make the most of it.



As time does not necessary means money, I started exploring the free events Brussels has on offer. My educated guess is there are plenty.


For now, let's focus on my # 1 and # 2.




My # 1 event was hosted by #Permafungi.

After reading an article titled  #SafeFoodFromTheFridge ' first, I then visited the, also free, exhibition this Summer. A small part of the expo was covering an initiative of young engineers in Brussels on how to grow mushrooms on a base of coffee. I surfed to find their website and registered myself. A few weeks later I received an invitation for a guided tour of their premises in Tour & Taxis, Brussels.

The Permafungi project  is, in their own words

" based on a highly innovative technique that converts an overly abundant organic source of waste into two useful products: mushrooms and fertilizer. Indeed, used coffee grounds are an ideal substratum for the culture of oyster mushrooms (Pleurotus)."

Used coffee grounds from the #EXKI stores in Brussels are first collected on a bike. Not only is this coffee biologically grown but treated in the best hygienical circumstances as well.

Growing oyster mushrooms is the result of three different phases:

phase 1 - Inoculation : 
this is when the substratum is prepared by mixing straw and coffee with the mycelium ( the mushroom seeds ). The whole process occurs in a sterile environment. Once all ingredients are well mixed, they are then placed in big, transparent plastic bags.

phase 2 - Incubation : 
During the 3-week incubation time the mycelium will colonise the substratum by 'eating' and decomposing the coffee grounds. A clean and dark environment are essential for this process. During the incubation, the bag's content will change from black into white.

phase 3 - Fructification : 
Once the mycelium has 'taken over ' the substratum, it is forced to reproduce. By placing the bags now in a ventilated space with a degree of humidity of 95 %, the bag's content suffers both a thermal and humidity shock. A few days later the first oyster mushrooms will appear and can be harvested one week later. If treated well, the bags can then produce a second even third harvest before being used as compost.           


permafungi my first harvest


permafungi my first harvest before being thrown into risotto


I bought my own kit and yes indeed, about one week later I was able to collect my first harvest. Unimpressed by the catering skills during the T & T presentation, I made a risotto with my mushrooms by simply adding some curry, onion and garlic. It was delicious.

*****

I 'discovered' my #2  free event by reading, for once, The AGENDA. #CreativeMornings Brussels tends to hosts its sessions at the #Beursschouwburg. This month's theme is CHANCE and today's speaker was the Belgian political scientist turned designer ALAIN GILLES. No doubt Alain is a gifted speaker and a great designer. However, focusing more on his career and his most successful designs rather than on the real topic, CHANCE, I doubt he was the right choice. 


But I enjoyed the idea, free croissants, fruit and coffee over a morning session and I will be back for sure on December 12th when some secret speaker from P.A.R.T.S. will cover next month's theme EDUCATION. 
I also met a great person, Foxi Von Riga, one of the previous speakers. Foxi, whose real name is Olga, is another political scientist turned artist and her work is full of color. She lives under the motto
"When you allow yourself to be the real You, magic happens".  A motto I can only support !

Unfortunately I had to skip the breakfast for lack of gluten free choices. I had coffee and a banana in stead. Having gotten there on my bike, my Friday morning was entirely free.
Convinced now Brussels for Free can be fun ! Then follow me !