If I were to die today....


If I were to die today in Brussels, I would wake up without my I-phone alarm. I would rise from under the feathers well before nine, go straight to the bathroom & take a shower, wash my hair, get dry, scarcely sparkle some perfume, no make-up and start the day.



My fridge is always full with yellow grapefruit. I would pick two, squeeze them and lavishly drink the juice, then wait for ten minutes.  My kitchen cabinets are basically empty but there is always almond milk, gluten free muesli,  hennep seeds, maca powder and chia seeds. That would be my breakfast. Full stop. I’d open my pc before I even have my first bite to find out what’s happening in this world. Maybe another flight has crashed? Will we have a government soon? Will Hammas and Israel agree on a  truce? Are preparations for England’s Prince George’s second birthday already on its way?
What a wild world we are living in, I wonder.

I would not go to work, breakfast at the Phileas Fogg would be a self-serve. My time is precious, I want to spend it on myself and on my daughter.

Together we would go to #FILIGRANES, of all the bookstores in this city, undoubtedly the best. I’d walk in, greeted by the security guy at the entrance. The shelves on the right are full of the most amazing magazines; I’d buy one on interior decoration. Elle Décor, Marie Claire Maison or Coté Sud. My choice would depend on the headlines and the photo on the front page.
 One day I left my dog  outside to quickly buy my newspaper #DEMORGEN.  The lady running the bar invited us in, adding dogs are most welcome.  Since then Nefer my dog is a regular guest too. She would patiently lie next to my table while I am having coffee and read a magazine. Nerjis, I know, would hunt an item she definitely does not need; but when she picks a #nanoblock,  The Grand Piano , the Taj Mahal, the tower of Pisa … she mounts it in a minimum record time. She just loves it.  

After coffee and some sweets and having paid the bill , we’d continue to the park. Mornings, even on a hot day , are the best time. Too early for pick–nickers and other dog loving owners. I could let Nefer run free . She’s big, she’s tall and for her age, still energetic. She needs to run, it makes her happy. And I am happy when she is happy.

I’d call my best friends only to catch up with them and find out how they are.  Noon would call for lunch and that would be the chirashi sushi menu at #YamayuSantatsu’s.
If I were to die today, I would not need any more clothes, shopping would be a waste of time. I’d take Nerjis to the movies, for once accomplish a promise I never get to keep.
I’d exceptionally spoil her with popcorn, pretend we are two teenage friends.


Coffee afterwards would be a must, but where to find a good one?

Life can be simple and dinner can be too. I am in no need for fancy champagne or caviar. Cava,  a Classic #EllisBurger & some fries at Saint Catherine’s would do.  

Then it would be time to head back home without a rush. I would put Nerjis to bed, lay down with her for a few minutes, holding her tight, telling her how much I love her, kissing her goodnight.

I’d take my second shower , preparing for #tango somewhere in the city. The only thing I can hope for is coming across a brave tanguero who’d make me enjoy tango and make my day.

Home would be quiet, with my daughter profoundly asleep. She looks so peaceful with her eyes closed. I envy her age, her innocence, her youth. But we adults know this does not last forever. Nefer would sit ready for a pipi in the bamboos. She too feels it’s time to
Sleep and the moment we re-enter she'd rush down to take her spot on the bed minutes before I do.

I’d fall asleep, thinking how fortunate I am with my health, my daughter, my big and small everything  .  For one short day I have managed to set aside my worries and the thought of a 'polluted' planet. Tomorrow will be another day.