Shopping in Brussels






Shopping in Brussels can be fun, but tiring too. My daughter needs a cotton white dress for the school party and paint to dye that same dress. I accept going there today, but I need ice cream first.

Probably the best ice cream in the capital  is Comus & Gasterea. The French guy who runs the place on his own once quit his busy job to turn to making ice cream.  Nerjis chooses strawberry and speculoos in a cone; I go for the caramel salé and yasmin – ginger flavour without the cone. It tastes absolutely delicious. Too bad his place is not just around my corner…



From the Quai aux Briques we head for the Muntplein. I insist on a short stop at ‘De Standaard Boekhandel’ and walk out with a ‘Memo’, a magazine on history which looks promising.

At the Veritas they only sell dye for natural fibers. And the dress we bought yesterday at the H&M is but that. The lady at H&M makes no objection when we return the dress even with the ticket left at home. She shows a rarely seen efficiency and speed in every move she makes. Wow!

As Primark is just next door, Nerjis wants to give it a try. I look at the people in the queue and am about to resist.  It looks like the whole of Belgium is trying to get in. All of a sudden the line moves at a rapid speed and we can all go inside.
I hate it instantly. Poor quality, ‘franatic’ buyers, endless lines everywhere.  And yet, our Primark experience has a lot in common with shopping at Ikea. What you need, they don’t have; and what you buy, you don’t need. Somehow, that’s not completely true. I just hope the 2€ shampoo is of decent quality.

 




In rue Neuve sits an older man from Moroccan origin. He is cutting empty metal cans and by folding the cut sides he turns the re-used cans into candle holders. I admire his creativity and ecological spirit and buy one for 1 €. 



Where did time fly? My legs hurt and I need to get away from here, far away from the busy streets of the center. I love Brussels but half a day rue Neuve is more than I can take.